Georgetown dog friendly activities range from runs along the C&O Canal and the Potomac River to shopping on M Street and sharing a meal at Martin’s Tavern.
Historic Georgetown Dog Friendly Activities
Georgetown was founded over three hundred years and history abounds from the Old Stone House to Dumbarton Oaks and lots in between. Your dog will enjoy visiting many of these historic sites too – or at least the outside of them in the gardens!
- Visit Dumbarton Oaks Park: This historic park is another dog-friendly spot in Georgetown. Explore the lovely gardens, walk the trails, and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere while keeping your dog on a leash.
- Visit the Tudor Place Historic House and Garden: While dogs are not allowed inside the historic house, you can explore the beautiful gardens and grounds with your furry companion. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy some outdoor time.
Dog Friendly Georgetown Parks
Georgetown has a number of small and some big parks to enjoy with your pooch on both sides of Wisconsin Avenue and at the upper part of Georgetown. If you are looking for Georgetown dog friendly activities, what could be better than throwing a ball with your pet in a green park?
- Go to Volta Park and let your dog chase a ball and play! The Volta Park Recreation Center is a small 2-story cottage-style building, mainly home to DPR’s Cooperative Play & Summer Camp programs, nestled in the midst of a myriad of outdoor opportunities which include (2) large playgrounds, a baseball field, an outdoor basketball court and tennis courts. The property also boasts a popular summer outdoor pool.
- Visit Montrose Park: This beautiful park offers a great place for you and your dog to take a leisurely stroll. It features walking paths, open green spaces, and a peaceful atmosphere.
The Waterfront is Pooch Perfect
What could be more fun than a run with your dog along the Canal or the River? The waterfront is filled with Georgetown friendly dog activities!
- Explore the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park: The C&O Canal towpath is a scenic trail that spans several miles, offering a picturesque setting for a walk or jog with your furry friend. Just make sure to keep your dog on a leash. You can start in Georgetown and go up to the Irish Inn at Glen Echo for lunch and back again!
- Visit the Georgetown Waterfront Park: This riverside park provides a lovely setting for a walk or picnic with your dog. Enjoy views of the Potomac River while your pup sniffs around and enjoys the fresh air.
- You can also check out the P Street Beach, Rose Park and Book Hill Park if you want a change of location.
Shopping and Eating – Perfect Georgetown Dog Friendly Activities
- Enjoy a dog-friendly meal at a patio or outdoor café: Many restaurants and cafes in Georgetown have outdoor seating areas that allow dogs. Some popular dog-friendly spots include the Tombs, Dog Tag Bakery, and Martin’s Tavern, (where John Kennedy proposed to Jackie oh so many years ago!) There are several places along the Georgetown Waterfront Park that will welcome your dog also!
- Go shopping: Some stores in Georgetown are dog-friendly and allow well-behaved dogs on leashes. Take your furry companion for a shopping trip and explore the various boutiques and shops in the area.
- Shop for your pooch! What if you could shop a wide selection of supplies, food, and treats for your dog in a boutique environment that pampers your pet and makes you feel right at home? Check out Chien de Luxe at 5140 MacArthur Blvd, just a mile outside Georgetown.
Want to Live in Georgetown with Your Pooch?
Now that you have been convinced that there are lots of Georgetown dog friendly activities for you and your pooch, you may want to move here! There are lots of homes in Georgetown ranging from studio condos to historic residences claiming a connection with George Washington and General Lafayette. There are traditional colonial styled homes with narrow staircases and modern condos with walls of glass providing incredible views of the Potomac River. There is a perfect match for you in Georgetown, limited only by your tastes and your bank account! To find that perfect home, give the Lise Howe Group a call at 240-401-5577 or email us at email@example.com. Click here to start your search!
And oh by the way – the standard poodle at the top of the post is Captain, my standard poodle – and he and I both wish you and your pup a wonderful trip to Georgetown!
Homes for Sale in Georgetown