As we approach the holiday season, many people will head out of town to visit family or take vacation. Fearing a break in because the spare key you hid for your pet sitter/house sitter/friend/family member is in an obvious spot should not be a source of stress! So, if you decide to leave a spare key, you’ll need to be clever and avoid the most common hiding places that burglars are likely to check. According to home security specialist ADT, these are the best and worst places to put a spare:
Best Hiding Spots
- In a hollow, realistic-looking false rock that blends in with its surroundings.
- In a small lockbox under the porch.
- In the barbeque grill in the backyard.
- Under the foot of a chair on the patio.
- Under a loose brick in the walkway.
- Inside or under a children’s toy in the front yard.
Worst Hiding Spots
- Under your doormat.
- Under a potted plant by the door.
- Under a garden statue.
- On the doorjamb.
- In the mailbox.
By taking the proper security measures, you can have peace of mind knowing your home is safe while you’re away. Have a stress free fall and holiday season!